Tennessee Apple Upside-Down Cake
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 medium cooking apples, peeled, cored, and cut into rings
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter milk
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Melt butter in a 9-inch cast iron skillet. Combine 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle over butter in skillet. Arrange apple slices on sugar mixture. Set aside.
- Combine shortening, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and molasses, creaming well. Add egg; beat well. Combine flour, soda, salt, and spices; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Pour batter evenly over apple slices in prepared skillet. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool 15 minutes, and invert onto plate. Serve warm with whipped cream, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note