Ten-Minute Smoked Salmon with Avocado-Radish Salad
This recipe uses a superquick method for hot-smoking; it cooks and smokes fish fillets in just 10 minutes. You can serve this smoked salmon hot off the grill, at room temperature or even chilled the next day. Try hot-smoking fillets from other rich, oily fish, such as bluefish, bonito and Spanish mackerel, for equally good results.
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- One 1 1/4-pound center-cut skinless salmon fillet, cut crosswise into 6 portions
- 1 cup small hardwood chips, such as hickory or apple
- 4 woody herb stems and sprigs, such as rosemary, thyme or winter savory
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 medium cucumbers--peeled, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 avocado--peeled, pitted and cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1. In a shallow glass baking dish, blend the soy sauce with the mustard and sugar. Add the salmon and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- 2. Light a grill. If using charcoal, scatter the wood chips and herbs over the coals. If using a gas grill, place the wood chips and herbs in a smoker box or scatter over the heat bars. Place a large double layer of foil over the center of the grill. Arrange the salmon on the foil. Cover the grill and smoke the salmon until just cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- 3. In a large bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Gently fold in the radishes, cucumbers, avocado and onion.
- 4. Using thick oven mitts, carefully lift the foil from the grill. With a thin spatula, transfer the salmon to plates and serve with the avocado-radish salad.
- Make Ahead: The hot-smoked salmon can be refrigerated overnight.
- Wine Recommendation: The salmon's smoky flavor and its pungent marinade suggest an aromatic, fruity white, such as a Pinot Gris from Oregon. Consider the 1999 King Estate or the 1999 Willamette Valley Vineyards.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This