Just made this, it takes a while, about 90m, used a frydaddy, which pobably holds less at a time, so that may be why. Tamari is basically soy sauce, used 12 x-jumbo shrimp,(2 minutes for shrimp)6 spring carrots, and about 3 oz snap peas, halved batter and sauce, which left 2 of us stuffed. Very tasty, will make again, but with frypan to cut time. Side of teryaki noodles.
Tempura Tofu and Spring Vegetables
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Mindi Shapiro
Yield: 5 servings (serving size: about 6 tofu pieces, 5 carrots, 7 peas, and 2 1/2 tablespoons dipping sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 428
- Fat: 19.4g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 10.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 5.2g
- Protein: 12.9g
- Carbohydrate: 46.2g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 826mg
- Calcium: 201mg
- 1 (14-ounce) package water-packed extra-firm tofu, drained
- 12 cups peanut oil
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 pound baby carrots with green tops
- 4.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 6.75 ounces rice flour (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups club soda, chilled
- 12 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1. Place tofu on several layers of paper towels; cover with paper towels. Top with a heavy skillet; let stand 30 minutes. Discard paper towels. Cut tofu in half horizontally; cut blocks into 16 (1/2-inch-thick) slices. Cut slices in half, crosswise, to form 32 (1 x 1/2–inch) rectangles.
- 2. Clip a candy/fry thermometer onto the side of a large skillet; add oil to pan. Heat oil to 385°. Combine vinegar and next 3 ingredients (through ginger). Trim carrot tops to 1 inch; peel carrots.
- 3. Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, baking soda, and salt, stirring well with a whisk. Gradually add club soda, stirring until smooth. Using a slotted spoon, dip tofu in batter. Place tofu in hot oil, and fry 1 minute or until golden, turning once. Make sure oil temperature remains at 375°. Remove tofu, and drain.
- 4. Return oil temperature to 385°. Using a slotted spoon, dip carrots in batter. Place carrots in oil; fry 2 minutes or until golden, turning once. Make sure oil temperature remains at 375°. Remove carrots; drain. Return oil temperature to 385°.
- 5. Using a slotted spoon, dip peas in batter. Place peas in oil; fry 1 minute or until golden, turning once. Make sure oil temperature remains at 375°. Remove peas, and drain. Serve tofu and vegetables with tamari mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes