Tempura Green Beans with Mild Cayenne Sour Cream
Batters like this one that use carbonated beverages such as club soda produce gas bubbles that discourage oil absorption, yielding a lighter fried food.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 240
- Fat: 15.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4g
- Protein: 3.4g
- Carbohydrate: 22.3g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 337mg
- Calcium: 25mg
- 4 cups canola oil
- 4.4 ounces gluten-free all-purpose flour (about 1 cup; such as Bob's Red Mill)
- 5 ounces white rice flour (about 1 cup; such as Bob's Red Mill)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups club soda, chilled
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Mild Cayenne Sour Cream
- 1. Preheat oven to 200°.
- 2. Clip a candy thermometer onto the side of a 4-quart Dutch oven; add oil to pan. Heat oil to 385°.
- 3. While oil heats, weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, paprika, baking soda, and black pepper in a medium bowl. Gradually add club soda, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
- 4. Dip beans, 1 at a time, in batter, coating completely. Add to hot oil in a single layer. (Do not crowd pan.) Fry, in batches, 1 minute or until golden, turning once. (Maintain temperature of oil at 375°.) Drain beans on a paper towel–lined jelly-roll pan. Place pan in oven, and keep warm at 200° until ready to serve. Sprinkle beans evenly with salt just before serving. Serve with Mild Cayenne Sour Cream.
When frying, choose a healthy oil that has a high smoke point and is low in saturated fat, such as peanut, soybean, or canola oil. Then place it in a deep skillet or Dutch oven. The pan you choose should depend on the food you'll cook—you don't want to overcrowd the pan. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan, and then watch the temperature very closely. If the oil is not hot enough, the food will soak up extra oil.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This