Tempura Dill Pickles
This recipe blends an Asian-inspired batter--tempura--with fried dill pickles, a classic fish fry side in the Lower South.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 1 (24-ounce) jar sliced kosher dill pickles
- Vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup club soda, chilled
- Drain pickles, reserving 2 tablespoons pickle juice. Press pickles between layers of paper towels. Set aside.
- Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 370°.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir in club soda and reserved 2 tablespoons pickle juice, stirring just until combined. (Batter will be lumpy.)
- Dip pickles into batter, letting excess drip off.
- Fry pickles, in batches, 2 1/2 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on wire racks over paper towels, and serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note