Tempura Dill Pickles
This recipe blends an Asian-inspired batter--tempura--with fried dill pickles, a classic fish fry side in the Lower South.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 1 (24-ounce) jar sliced kosher dill pickles
- Vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup club soda, chilled
- Drain pickles, reserving 2 tablespoons pickle juice. Press pickles between layers of paper towels. Set aside.
- Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 370°.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir in club soda and reserved 2 tablespoons pickle juice, stirring just until combined. (Batter will be lumpy.)
- Dip pickles into batter, letting excess drip off.
- Fry pickles, in batches, 2 1/2 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on wire racks over paper towels, and serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This