- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1 pound organic tempeh, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons water
- 3 cups thinly shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot (about 1 medium)
- 6 (1 1/2-ounce) hamburger buns
- calories 319
- caloriesfromfat 28 %
- fat 9.9 g
- satfat 2.4 g
- monofat 3.7 g
- polyfat 3.5 g
- protein 21.3 g
- carbohydrate 37.6 g
- fiber 7.4 g
- cholesterol 2 mg
- iron 4.2 mg
- sodium 727 mg
- calcium 203 mg
How to Make It
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes or until soft. Add tempeh; sauté 6 minutes or until beginning to brown.
Combine tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar, paprika, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Add tomato mixture to tempeh; stir to combine. Stir in 3 cups water. Simmer until mixture is thick and liquid is almost evaporated (about 20 minutes), stirring often. Remove from heat; keep warm.
Combine mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons water, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Add shredded cabbage and carrot, tossing well to combine.
Top each of 6 bottom halves of hamburger buns with about 3/4 cup tempeh filling. Top each serving with about 1/3 cup cabbage mixture, and cover with top half of each bun. Serve sloppy joes immediately.