Not fond of the texture of the tempeh. Did not particularly like the flavor of the chipolte. But I am not a fan of chipolte in general.
Use a wire grilling basket for the onion and bell pepper in this fajita recipe so they don't fall into grill. If there's enough room on your grill, you can heat the tortillas as the onion mixture and tempeh cook. Wrap in heavy-duty foil, and grill 5 miutes or until thoroughly heated.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 259
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fat: 5.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Protein: 14.6g
- Carbohydrate: 47.3g
- Fiber: 8g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 712mg
- Calcium: 64mg
- 1 (8-ounce) package five-grain tempeh
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) vertically sliced onion
- 1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch-thick) slices green bell pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 1/4 cup chipotle salsa (such as Frontera)
- Cut tempeh in half crosswise; cut each half lengthwise into 6 strips. Place tempeh in a shallow dish. Combine pineapple juice, soy sauce, lime juice, cumin, oil, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and garlic in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Pour pineapple juice mixture over tempeh. Marinate at room temperature 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Prepare grill.
- Lightly coat onion and bell pepper with cooking spray; sprinkle with salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Arrange onion mixture in a wire grilling basket coated with cooking spray. Place grilling basket on grill rack; grill 5 minutes or until lightly browned, turning occasionally. Remove the tempeh from marinade, reserving marinade. Place tempeh on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned, basting occasionally with reserved marinade.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions. Arrange 3 tempeh pieces, 1/2 cup onion mixture, and 1 tablespoon salsa down center of each tortilla; roll up.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note