Recipe was huge hit for special occasion. First attempt, crust stuck to pan...I reduced the sit time to just 2 minutes on my 2nd attempt and it came out beautifully. I also worked on seasoning my cast iron pan more between the 2 attempts (lots of bacon and greasy foods!). My husband thought it was too sweet...but everyone else said it was one of the best Tarte Tatin's they've had (even in France!).
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 318
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Fat: 11.7g
- Saturated fat: 7.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 2.2g
- Carbohydrate: 54.2g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 223mg
- Calcium: 15mg
- 4.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- 3 1/2 pounds small Gala apples (about 9), peeled, cored, and each cut into 8 wedges
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1. To prepare crust, weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a food processor; pulse until combined. Add 6 tablespoons chilled butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 2 tablespoons ice water, and pulse until mixture forms clumps. Gently press dough into a 6-inch circle on heavy-duty plastic wrap; cover and freeze 30 minutes.
- 2. To prepare filling, combine apples, juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl, tossing to coat. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a 9 1/2-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3/4 cup sugar to pan; cook 4 minutes or until golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove pan from heat. Arrange half of apples, rounded side down, in a circular pattern over sugar mixture in pan. Top with remaining apples, rounded side up. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes.
- 3. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 4. Working quickly, roll dough into an 11-inch circle on a heavily floured surface. Place dough over apples; fold edges under. Cut 4 (1-inch) slits into top of pastry using a sharp knife. Bake at 400° for 40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Place a plate upside down on top of pan. Carefully invert tart onto plate. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts