Tart Lemon Chiffon Pie
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (9-inch) graham cracker piecrust
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Lemon slices (optional)
- Soften gelatin in cold water; set aside.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored. Combine yolks, 1 cup sugar, lemon rind and juice, and salt in a saucepan; stir until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; add gelatin. Stir well. Cool.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until foamy; gradually add remaining 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until soft peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into lemon mixture; pour into piecrust. Chill. Garnish with whipped cream and lemon, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note