Tart Apple-and-Cabbage Toss
Sauerkraut meets coleslaw in this vinegar-based salad. Paper-thin apple slices and finely shredded cabbage add rich autumn color.
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 cups finely shredded red cabbage (1 medium head)
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 2 Granny Smith apples, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1. Place caraway and fennel seeds in a mortar bowl or spice grinder; grind using a pestle or grinder until seeds become a medium powder. Combine pepper, vinegar, and crushed seeds in a small bowl; cover. Let stand 1 hour. Whisk in mayonnaise and sugar. Season with salt to taste.
- 2. Combine cabbage and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Add vinegar mixture, and toss until blended. Let stand 10 minutes to 1 hour before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note