Tarragon Pea Soup
Notes: Garnish servings with fresh tarragon sprigs.
Yield: Makes 9 cups; 6 main-dish servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 218
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Protein: 13g
- Fat: 4.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 8.7g
- Sodium: 239mg
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- 1 1/4 pounds onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 quart fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 3/4 pound russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds frozen petite peas
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves or 1 1/2 tablespoons dried tarragon
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, frequently stir onions, garlic, and butter until onions are limp, 10 to 12 minutes.
- 2. Add broth and potatoes. Cover, bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes mash easily when pressed, about 20 minutes. Stir in peas and tarragon; add cayenne to taste.
- 3. In a blender, whirl soup, a portion at a time, until very smooth. Return to pan and stir over high heat until hot, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 4. Ladle into bowls and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note