- 1 1/4 pounds onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 quart fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 3/4 pound russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds frozen petite peas
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves or 1 1/2 tablespoons dried tarragon
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Salt and pepper
- calories 218
- caloriesfromfat 19 %
- protein 13 g
- fat 4.6 g
- satfat 2.5 g
- carbohydrate 32 g
- fiber 8.7 g
- sodium 239 mg
- cholesterol 10 mg
How to Make It
In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, frequently stir onions, garlic, and butter until onions are limp, 10 to 12 minutes.
Add broth and potatoes. Cover, bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes mash easily when pressed, about 20 minutes. Stir in peas and tarragon; add cayenne to taste.
In a blender, whirl soup, a portion at a time, until very smooth. Return to pan and stir over high heat until hot, 2 to 3 minutes.
Ladle into bowls and season to taste with salt and pepper.