- 2 fresh-ripe tomatoes (3 1/2 to 4 in.wide, 12 oz. each)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 8 ounces shelled cooked crab or shelled cooked tiny shrimp
- 1/2 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots, rinsed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 butter or leaf lettuce leaves, rinsed and crisped
- Fresh tarragon sprigs (optional)
- calories 462
- caloriesfromfat 62 %
- protein 28 g
- fat 32 g
- satfat 4.7 g
- carbohydrate 19 g
- fiber 5.6 g
- sodium 629 mg
- cholesterol 135 mg
How to Make It
Rinse tomatoes. Cut 1/2 inch off the top of each and reserve. With a spoon, carefully scoop out seeds and inner flesh, leaving a shell 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick; reserve interiors for another use. Set tomato shells and lids, cut side down, on a paper towel.
In a large bowl, mix mayonnaise, vinegar, and minced tarragon until smooth. Add crab, peas celery, and shallots; mix gently to coat. Add salt and peper to taste.
Line each of two salad plates with a lettuce leaf. If tomatoes do not sit flat, trim bottoms slightly as needed. Mound tarragon crab salad in tomato cups and set on lettuce leaves. Garnish with tomato lids and tarragon springs if desired.