Tarboro Tipsy Cake
Yield: 12 to 15 servings
- 8 eggs, separated
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups whole blanched almonds
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sherry, divided
- Boiled Custard
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Whole maraschino cherries
- Slivered almonds, toasted
- Place egg yolks in a large mixing bowl; beat at high speed of an electric mixer 6 minutes or until thick and lemon colored. Add lemon rind and juice; beat at high speed an additional 4 minutes.
- Gradually add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating 5 minutes or until smooth.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to yolk mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix well after each addition.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until soft peaks form. Gently fold 1 cup of egg whites into yolk mixture. Gently fold yolk mixture into remaining egg whites.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 1 0 - inch tube pan, spreading batter evenly with a spatula. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Remove cake from oven, and invert pan. Cool cake 40 minutes, and remove from pan.
- Press almonds into sides and top of cake; place cake in a 12- cup trifle bowl. Immediately before serving, pour 1 cup sherry evenly over cake. Spoon Boiled Custard over cake and into hole in center of the cake.
- Beat whipping cream until foamy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Fold in remaining sherry.
- Top cake with sweetened whipped cream, and garnish with maraschino cherries and toasted almonds. Spoon into serving bowls, and serve immediately.
- Note: Slivered toasted almonds may be used in place of blanched almonds.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings