I made this recipe for my first big family dinner and everyone enjoyed it (especially my dad). It was really great and reminded me of my grandma's pot roast. I made roasted rosemary potatoes and matzo ball soup and the whole meal was a hit. Very happy with how it turned out.
Sweet and Tangy Slow Cooker Brisket
Start the brisket at the beginning of your Passover seder preparations--it will have rested and will be ready to slice by the meal portion of the evening.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 8 Hours, 30 Minutes
- Calories: 307
- Fat: 15.1g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 33g
- Carbohydrate: 8g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 100mg
- Iron: 4mg
- Sodium: 338mg
- Calcium: 31mg
- 1 (4 1/2-pound) flat-cut brisket roast, fat cap trimmed to 1/8-inch thickness
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into thirds
- 3 celery stalks, cut into thirds
- Cooking spray
- 2 large onions, halved and vertically sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup unsalted beef stock (such as Swanson)
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 5 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves (optional)
- 1. Sprinkle brisket evenly with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add brisket; cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Rub brisket with garlic powder and paprika. Arrange carrots and celery in a 6-quart electric slow cooker coated with cooking spray; top with brisket, fat cap side up.
- 2. Return skillet to medium heat. Add onions to pan; cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover. Stir in garlic; cook 5 minutes or until onions are tender and golden. Arrange onion mixture over brisket.
- 3. Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, stock, tomatoes, brown sugar, and vinegar in hot skillet, stirring with a whisk to loosen browned bits. Pour tomato mixture around brisket. Place thyme and bay leaves in slow cooker, pressing into tomato mixture. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours or until brisket is tender when sliced. Cool slightly in cooker, about 1 hour.
- 4. Place brisket on a cutting board. Trim fat cap; discard fat. Cut brisket across the grain into thin slices. Pour sauce through a sieve over a bowl; discard carrots, celery, thyme, and bay leaves. Return onions to sauce. Serve brisket with sauce. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note