Tangy Potato Chaat (Aloo chaat)
Spicy and intensely flavored, this Indian potato salad is a great palate cleanser and a wonderful accompaniment to spicy Indian dishes but you don’t have to stop there. The flavors here marry well with those found throughout Central America and the Caribbean so be inspired to create your own fusion fantasy meal. I’d be thinking about something along the lines of jerk seasoned fish here, with some wonderfully citrussy beans on the side and this Aloo Chat as a refreshing alternative to rice. Whoa, that makes this a challenge to pair with wine. A major challenge in fact because not only are the flavors spicy, they are also intense. A wine with some spice and a little sweetness is in order and while Riesling, or Gewurztraminer are the easy answers they may not be the best. No, on second though they are the best, that you’re likely to find but this is the perfect time to try out a Bukettraube! . . . Article from eat.snooth.com and recipe by Bharti Kirchner from Fine Cooking, Issue 9 on finecooking.com
Yield: 4 servings
Community Recipe from
- For those concerned with the fat content of most potato salads, this Indian chaat is ideal. Potatoes are steeped in a fat-free lime dressing & tossed with chiles, cilantro, and fresh ginger. The result is a tangy blend of diverse and complementary flavors.
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 T cored, seeded, and chopped jalapeño
- 8-10 fresh mint leaves
- 1 T coarsely chopped fresh ginger
- 1-1/2 lbs waxy potatoes, preferably Yellow Finn or Yukon Gold, peeled and cut into 1-1/2" cubes
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 t chaat powder
- 1/2 t salt
- Put the cilantro, jalapeño, mint, and ginger in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Set aside.
- Steam/boil the potatoes until they can be pierced easily with a fork, 15-20 mins drain well. Meanwhile, mix the lime juice, chaat powder, and salt in a large bowl; add the potatoes; toss gently to coat as they will absorb the juice quickly; add the herb paste and toss again. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately or chill for 45 min. and serve cold.
- Nutrition information (per serving): Calories (kcal): 110; Fat (g): 0; Fat Calories (kcal): 0; Saturated Fat (g): 0; Protein (g): 4; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 0; Carbohydrates (g): 26; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 0; Sodium (mg): 300; Cholesterol (mg): 0; Fiber (g): 3
This recipe is a personal recipe added by NanaElaine and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes