Tangy Corn Casserole
Great for brunch and summertime celebrations, this side dish gets a little kick from a dash of hot sauce.
Yield: Serves 8
- 1 (10-oz.) pkg. frozen corn, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, sliced into strips
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup yellow squash, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Garnishes: tomato slices and green pepper, sliced into rings
- In a medium saucepan, combine corn, onion, green pepper, and water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Do not drain.
- In a a large mixing bowl, combine squash, tomato, 3/4 cup cheese, cornmeal, milk, eggs, salt, pepper, and hot pepper sauce. Add corn mixture to cornmeal mixture; stir to blend.
- Pour into a greased 1 1/2-quart casserole dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes or until heated through. Top with remaining cheese, and, if desired, tomato slices and green pepper rings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note