Tangerine Chess Pie
- 1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons grated tangerine rind
- 1/3 cup fresh tangerine juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Garnishes: sweetened whipped cream, tangerine slices
- Unfold piecrusts; stack piecrusts on a lightly floured surface. Roll into one 12-inch circle. Fit piecrust into a 9-inch pieplate according to package directions; fold edges under, and crimp.
- Bake piecrust at 450° for 8 minutes; cool on a wire rack.
- Whisk together sugar and next 9 ingredients until blended. Pour into piecrust.
- Bake at 350° for 40 to 45 minutes or until center is set, shielding edges of crust with aluminum foil after 20 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Cool on a wire rack. Garnish, if desired.
- Lemon-Lime Chess Pie: Substitute fresh lime juice for tangerine juice and 1 teaspoon fresh lime rind and 1 teaspoon fresh lemon rind for tangerine rind. Garnish with sweetened whipped cream; lime and lemon wedges; and grated lime and lemon rind, if desired.
- Orange Chess Pie: Substitute fresh orange juice and rind for tangerine juice and rind. Garnish with sweetened whipped cream, orange slices, and orange rind, if desired.
- Grapefruit Chess Pie: Substitute fresh grapefruit juice and rind for tangerine juice and rind. Garnish with sweetened whipped cream and grapefruit rind or lime rind and lime pieces, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note