Okay, but bland as written. I made half the recipe but used all the spices, and we could have enjoyed even a bit more. So when and if I make it again, I'll triple the spices! Also think it's better to really roast vegetables at more like 425 than bake at 350. Still, it was a nice accompaniment to a lentil curry, green beans, and raita.
Tandoori-Style Cauliflower (Tandoori Gobhi)
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 84
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Fat: 3.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 3.6g
- Carbohydrate: 12.8g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 277mg
- Calcium: 70mg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups water
- 6 cups cauliflower florets
- Spice mix:
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 (1-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon finely ground blanched almonds (about 1/2 ounce)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup water
- 6 tablespoons plain whole milk yogurt
- Remaining Ingredient:
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- To prepare cauliflower, bring first 3 ingredients to a boil in a large saucepan. Add cauliflower florets; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or just until tender (do not overcook). Drain.
- To prepare spice mix, combine cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, and bay leaf in a medium nonstick skillet; cook over medium heat 2 minutes or until toasted and fragrant. Place mixture in a coffee or spice grinder; process until ground.
- To prepare sauce, heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in cardamom mixture, almonds, and next 5 ingredients (through garlic); cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place onion mixture and 1/3 cup water in a blender, and process until almost smooth, scraping sides of blender occasionally. Place onion mixture in skillet; gradually stir in yogurt. Cook over low heat 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Place cauliflower in a shallow 2-quart baking dish; pour onion mixture over cauliflower, tossing to coat. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated and just beginning to brown. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note