these tasted great!! It does take a little practice to get the rice paper the right wetness to make rolls. Not counting the 30 min the shrimp marinate this goes together pretty quickly once you get the hang of the rice paper. I too used apricot-pineapple preserves & the sauce was delicious. The reviewer in 2003 couldn't find these ingredients in a regular grocery store, but I'm betting now in 2009 that you can (I did). I'd definitely serve these to company. And my husband loved them, the recipe goes in the "make often" pile!
Tandoori Shrimp Spring Rolls with Pineapple Sauce
Photography: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 240
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 4.4g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 20.1g
- Carbohydrate: 30.2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 117mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 448mg
- Calcium: 151mg
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8-ounce) carton plain fat-free yogurt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups finely shredded napa (Chinese) cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup cooked skinny rice stick noodles (about 1 ounce uncooked py mai fun)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 6 (8-inch) round sheets rice paper
- 1/3 cup pineapple preserves
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- Green onion strips (optional)
- To prepare rolls, combine first 6 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Seal and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes. Remove shrimp from bag, discarding marinade.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; sauté 4 minutes or until done. Stir in cabbage and next 5 ingredients (cabbage through salt); cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Combine cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl. Stir cornstarch mixture into shrimp mixture; cook 1 minute or until slightly thickened.
- Add hot water to a large, shallow dish to a depth of 1 inch. Place 1 rice paper sheet in dish. Let stand for 30 seconds or just until soft.
- Place the sheet on a flat surface. Arrange about 1/2 cup shrimp mixture to cover half of sheet, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Fold sides of sheet over filling; starting with filled side, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Gently press seam to seal; place, seam side down, on a serving platter (cover to keep from drying). Repeat procedure with remaining sheets and shrimp mixture. Cut each roll in half crosswise.
- To prepare sauce, combine pineapple preserves and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Serve with spring rolls. Garnish with green onion strips, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Tandoori Shrimp Spring Rolls with Pineapple Sauce Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Main Dishes