I rated this recipe two stars as it has potential but in my opinion needs to be improved. I followed the recipe exactly. The shrimp turned out to be a bit bitter. I was hoping for something a bit more savory. I love Indian cuisine and will more than likely try this recipe again with some changes.
Tandoori Shrimp in Green Marinade
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 168
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 24g
- Fat: 5.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Carbohydrate: 4.1g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 465mg
- Cholesterol: 175mg
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh serrano chiles
- 1 tablespoon garam masala (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon ground toasted cumin (directions follow)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds shrimp (8 to 12 per lb.), shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Lime wedges
- Mint chutney
- 1. In a blender or food processor, whirl cilantro, garlic, ginger, chiles, garam masala, cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne into a smooth paste, adding 1/3 to 1/2 cup water as needed to facilitate blending. Taste and add more cayenne, if desired. Scrape into a bowl.
- 2. Shortly before serving, rinse shrimp; drain well. Add to marinade with oil and salt; mix well. Thread shrimp onto 6 to 8 metal skewers, piercing them through the center so they lie flat in a row.
- 3. Lay shrimp skewers on an oiled grill over a solid bed of hot coals or over high heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 2 to 3 seconds); close lid. Cook, turning once, until shrimp are opaque but still moist-looking in center of thickest part (cut to test), 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and serve with lime wedges and mint chutney.
- Ground toasted cumin: In a 6- to 8-inch frying pan over medium heat, stir 2 tablespoons cumin seeds often until lightly toasted, 2 to 4 minutes. Whirl in a blender until finely ground. Makes about 2 tablespoons.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This