- Seeds from 6 green or white cardamom pods (or 1/8 teaspoon cardamom seed)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black or regular cumin seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick (1 in.)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Cayenne (about 1/4 teaspoon for moderately hot)
- calories 20
- caloriesfromfat 41 %
- protein 0.8 g
- fat 0.9 g
- satfat 0.1 g
- carbohydrate 3.7 g
- fiber 0.6 g
- sodium 4.4 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Remove seed from 6 green or white cardamom pods (or use 1/8 teaspoon cardamom seed).
In an 8- to 10-inch frying pan over medium heat, combine cardamom seed, 1 tablespoon coriander seed, 1 1/2 teaspoons black or regular cumin seed, 1 1/2 teaspoons whole cloves, 3/4 teaspoon black peppercorns, and 1 cinnamon stick (1 in.). Stir often until the mixture is aromatic and the seeds are lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
Pour the spice mixture into a blender or spice grinder and whirl or grind to a fine powder.
Add 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika and 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger; whirl to mix. Season to taste with cayenne (about 1/4 teaspoon for moderately hot). If making tandoori masala up to 1 week ahead, store airtight.
Nutritional analysis per tablespoon.