Barbecued chicken, a backyard summer favorite, marinates here in a heady Indian spice blend and tangy yogurt. A cool, herby raita complements it perfectly.
Cooking Light JUNE 2012
1. To prepare the marinade, combine first 10 ingredients in a blender; process until smooth. Pour into a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken; turn to coat. Marinate chicken in refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
2. To prepare the raita, combine 3/4 cup yogurt and remaining ingredients except cooking spray in a small bowl; cover and refrigerate.
3. Remove chicken from refrigerator, and let stand at room temperature for 45 minutes.
4. Prepare the grill for indirect grilling. If using a gas grill, heat one side to medium-high and leave one side with no heat. If using a charcoal grill, arrange hot coals on either side of charcoal grate, leaving an empty space in the middle.
5. Remove the chicken from marinade, and discard the remaining marinade. Place the chicken on unheated part of grill rack coated with cooking spray. Close lid, and grill for 90 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into meaty part of thigh registers 165°, turning chicken every 20 minutes.
Go to full version of