- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 to 2 small jalapeño or serrano chile peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 3 pounds chicken pieces
- Garnishes: lime wedges, jalapeño or serrano chile peppers
How to Make It
Stir together first 12 ingredients and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large bowl until blended.
Skin chicken breasts. Remove breast bones by inserting a sharp knife tip between bone and meat, cutting gently to remove as much meat as possible. Cut breast halves into thirds. Cut deep slits, 1-inch apart, into remaining chicken pieces. (Do not skin pieces.) Place chicken in a large bowl with spice mixture. Thoroughly rub spice mixture into slits. Cover and chill 8 hours.
Drizzle remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large aluminum foil-lined roasting pan. Arrange chicken in a single layer in pan.
Bake chicken at 450° for 35 minutes or until done.
Arrange chicken on a serving platter. Garnish, if desired.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Butterball Best of the Fryer, a cut-up mix of chicken breasts, thighs, legs, and wings.