I enjoyed this tremendously & found it to be a pleasant change from the routine rice dissh we're used to eating.
Tah Dig (Persian Rice)
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 2 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 172
- Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 3.4g
- Carbohydrate: 31g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 327mg
- Calcium: 13mg
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup long-grain basmati rice
- 1/2 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed saffron threads
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1. Place 4 cups water in a saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Add rice; cook for 10 minutes. Drain. Rinse with cold water; drain.
- 2. Combine yogurt, salt, and saffron in a medium bowl. Add rice to yogurt mixture, stirring well.
- 3. Melt butter in a medium nonstick sauté pan over medium heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add rice mixture to pan, lightly packing rice down. Wrap a clean, dry dish towel around lid to pan, tying it at the handle; place prepared lid on pan. Cook rice, covered, over medium heat 20 minutes (do not stir or uncover). Reduce temperature to medium-low; cook an additional 20 minutes or until rice is tender on top and a golden crust forms on bottom.
- 4. Loosen the rice crust with a rubber spatula around the edges. Place a plate over the top of pan, and invert the rice onto plate, browned side up. Cut into 6 wedges, and serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables