Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) water
- 2 tablespoon(s) white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) butter plus some to coat pan and hands
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1. Combine sugar, water, vinegar and butter in a heavy, nonreactive pan, and stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- 2. Raise heat and cook quickly, about 20 minutes, without stirring, until a teaspoon of the mixture dropped into a glass of cold water forms a hard ball.
- 3. Watch the boil carefully so the taffy does not burn. Turn off heat and add the vanilla extract.
- 4. Pour the taffy onto a generously buttered platter or cookie sheet with low sides. When it is cool enough to handle (adults do everything up to this part), kids grease their hands with butter, take a lump of taffy, and pull and stretch it until it is light and slightly firm.
- 5. The more they stretch, pull and twist the candy, the more air they will blend into it, and the more like beach taffy it will get.
- 6. Using scissors, cut the lump of candy into bite-size pieces. When completely cool, wrap each piece in waxed paper. Makes 45 1-inch candies.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Drag0nWing and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Taffy Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts