Notes: Up to 1 day ahead, shred lettuce (chill airtight) and make tortilla whiskers (store airtight at room temperature).
Sunset JUNE 2001
1. Stack tortillas and cut into 1/8- to 1/4-inch-wide strips. In a 12- by 17-inch baking pan, mix strips with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and chili powder.
2. Bake tortilla strips in a 425° regular or convection oven, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. Pour out of pan and let cool.
3. Meanwhile, cut steak across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Stack a few slices at a time and cut into strips about 1/4 inch wide and 3 to 4 inches long. In a small bowl, mix vinegar, cumin, and cinnamon.
4. Place a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat. When hot, add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil and quickly swirl to coat bottom. Add beef at once and stir just until browned on the surface and still pink in the center (cut to test), about 1 minute. Add vinegar mixture and stir just until liquid is evaporated, about 1 minute.
5. Mound lettuce in the center of a large, shallow bowl. Surround with tortilla whiskers. Layer beans, cheese, then steak evenly over lettuce. Top with guacamole and sour cream and sprinkle with green onions. Gently spoon salad onto plates; serve with salsa.
Go to Full Version of