- 3 corn tortillas (about 6 in. wide)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- About 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 pound boneless tender beef steak such as top loin, fat trimmed, rinsed, and dried
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 quarts finely shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 can (about 15 oz.) reduced-sodium or regular black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
- 1 1/4 cups guacamole
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat or regular sour cream
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 2 cups fresh tomato salsa
- calories 426
- caloriesfromfat 53 %
- protein 27 g
- fat 25 g
- satfat 8 g
- carbohydrate 30 g
- fiber 7.2 g
- sodium 1100 mg
- cholesterol 60 mg
How to Make It
Stack tortillas and cut into 1/8- to 1/4-inch-wide strips. In a 12- by 17-inch baking pan, mix strips with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and chili powder.
Bake tortilla strips in a 425° regular or convection oven, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. Pour out of pan and let cool.
Meanwhile, cut steak across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Stack a few slices at a time and cut into strips about 1/4 inch wide and 3 to 4 inches long. In a small bowl, mix vinegar, cumin, and cinnamon.
Place a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat. When hot, add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil and quickly swirl to coat bottom. Add beef at once and stir just until browned on the surface and still pink in the center (cut to test), about 1 minute. Add vinegar mixture and stir just until liquid is evaporated, about 1 minute.
Mound lettuce in the center of a large, shallow bowl. Surround with tortilla whiskers. Layer beans, cheese, then steak evenly over lettuce. Top with guacamole and sour cream and sprinkle with green onions. Gently spoon salad onto plates; serve with salsa.