- 1 pound extra-lean (91%) ground beef
- 1 packet (1.25 oz) reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 2/3 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2/3 cup bottled mild salsa
- 8 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 pint halved cherry tomatoes
- 15-oz can kidney beans or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup grated reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces (about 4 cups) tortilla chips, broken into bite-size pieces
- Avocado, pitted, peeled, and cut into thin strips
- Sliced black olives
- Lime wedges
- calories (1/4 recipe): 496
- fat 17.6 g
- satfat 5.8 g
- sodium 1,177.6 mg
- cholesterol 78.5 mg
How to Make It
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: about 12 minutes
Brown the beef in a nonstick pan, about 5 minutes; crumble with a fork. Stir in taco seasoning. Add 3/4 cup water to pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
For dressing, put sour cream and salsa in a small bowl and stir or whisk until well blended; set aside.
Serve cooled beef, dressing, lettuce, tomatoes, beans, cheese, and tortilla chips in bowls or on a large serving platter.
Set out small bowls of the garnishes so everyone can customize their salads.
How kids can help: Shred lettuce; break up tortilla chips; rinse beans in a colander; measure and blend dressing; put garnishes in bowls.