Great quick meal that fits the budget. I will definitely make this again. The children loved it and went back for seconds. I doubled the recipe because I'm feeding a party of 6 :) While doubling the recipe I only used one packet of taco seasoning because I don't cook with lots of sodium/salt. I agree with the previous review, it took a little longer for my sauce to thicken than the specified time given. But I also didn't use a dutch oven, so that may have been a factor. Overall-delish! Adding to the weeknight meals!
Taco Dinner Mac and Cheese
More From Southern Living
- 1 (8-ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (1.25-ounce) envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning mix
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (8-ounce) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Toppings: chopped tomato, avocado, and green onions, sour cream, salsa
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- Brown ground beef in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Drain.
- Return beef to skillet; stir in taco seasoning mix and 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil, and cook, stirring occasionally, 7 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates. Remove beef mixture from heat.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese, stirring until melted. Stir in cooked pasta and beef mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Serve immediately with desired toppings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note