This has been my husband's favorite so far. And it's the first time he's eaten tofu! It's a little spicy but not too bad. We'll be coming back to this recipe again.
Szechuan-Style Tofu with Peanuts
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
Spice up your supper with this Asian-flavored vegetarian dish. For meat-lovers, feel free to substitute chicken for tofu.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup rice, about 3/4 cup tofu mixture, and 1 tablespoon peanuts)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 389
- Fat: 14.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 6.2g
- Protein: 17.2g
- Carbohydrate: 51.6g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 4mg
- Sodium: 619mg
- Calcium: 92mg
- 2 (3 1/2-ounce) bags boil-in-bag jasmine rice
- 1 (14-ounce) package water-packed firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (ground fresh chile paste)
- 1 tablespoon less-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons black bean garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup matchstick-cut carrots
- 1 tablespoon bottled ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup unsalted dry-roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- 3. Arrange tofu in a single layer on a foil-lined jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray; broil 14 minutes or until golden.
- 4. While tofu cooks, combine broth and next 4 ingredients (through black bean sauce), stirring with a whisk; set aside.
- 5. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add salt and mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes or until mushrooms begin to release liquid, stirring occasionally. Stir in carrots and ginger; cook 1 minute. Add broth mixture; cook 30 seconds or until sauce begins to thicken. Remove from heat; stir in tofu and onions. Serve over rice; sprinkle with peanuts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes