We really liked this and as aslall said, it's lightening fast. I let the shrimp (fresh ones, peeled) marinate while some rice cooked and then threw it together, which may have given the shrimp even more flavor. Used a rubber spatula to get every bit of goop out of the marinade bowl. After the spinach was cooked the sauce seemed to be about evaporated, so I added a little water so there would be some sauce to drizzle over the dish. Only complaint was there wasn't enough! I halved the recipe to feed two --next time I'll halve the shrimp but keep everything else the same.
Szechuan Shrimp with Spinach
Serve this tasty dish with hot cooked rice to soak up the garlicky sauce.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 6 shrimp and 1/2 cup spinach)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 216
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 26g
- Carbohydrate: 15.2g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 172mg
- Iron: 5.9mg
- Sodium: 712mg
- Calcium: 131mg
- 2 tablespoons bottled minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 1/2 tablespoons bottled ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 (6-ounce) packages fresh baby spinach
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl, stirring well. Add shrimp to bowl; toss to coat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon, and reserve marinade. Combine broth and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until done. Remove shrimp from pan. Add reserved marinade to pan; cook 1 minute or until slightly thick. Add broth mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Add spinach to pan; cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts. Serve with shrimp.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note