This an excellent meal with mashed potatoes. My husband was very complimentary. You could easily simmer this in a crock pot rather than the oven. I will make this recipe again.
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2006
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 pound(s) Round Steak
- 2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) pepper
- 3/4 cup(s) flour
- 1/4 cup(s) vegetable oil or bacon drippings
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 2 stalk(s) celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) tomato paste
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon(s) smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon(s) dried oreganWorcestershire sauceo
- 1 1/2 cup(s) beef broth Directions Preheat
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cut the meat with the grain into 1/2-inch thick slices and season on both sides with the salt and pepper. Place the flour into a pie pan. Dredge the pieces of meat on both sides in the flour mixture. Tenderize the meat using a needling device, until each slice is 1/4-inch thick. Dredge the slices on both sides once more and set aside.
- Add enough of the bacon drippings or vegetable oil to just cover the bottom of a 4 to 5-quart Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the steaks to the pan, being careful not to overcrowd. Cook until golden brown on both sides, approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove the steaks to a plate and repeat until all of the steaks have been browned.
- Remove the last steaks from the pot and add the onions, garlic, and celery. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes . Add the tomato paste and stir to combine. Next add the tomatoes, paprika, oregano, Worcestershire sauce and beef broth and stir to combine. Return the meat to the pot, submerging it in the liquid. Cover the pot and place it in the oven on the middle rack. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or
- until the meat is tender and falling apart.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by jimmito and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note