Swiss Chard and Ricotta Salata Egg Bake
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 409
- Calories from fat: 70%
- Protein: 25g
- Fat: 32g
- Saturated fat: 16g
- Carbohydrate: 6g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sodium: 1144mg
- Cholesterol: 611mg
- 1 bunch Swiss chard
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus more for buttering dish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated ricotta salata cheese
- 18 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup grated gruyère cheese
- 1. Wash chard and trim discolored ends of stems. Cut out central stalk from leaves with a V-shaped incision that follows the tapering shape of the stalk. Thinly slice stalks and set aside. Chop leaves.
- 2. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, melt 2 tbsp. butter. Add chard stalks and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender. Add chard leaves and garlic. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until leaves are tender. Stir in white pepper. Set aside and let cool slightly.
- 3. Butter a 9- by 12-in. baking dish. Spread cooked chard on bottom and sprinkle with ricotta salata. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt. Pour over chard and ricotta salata. Sprinkle with gruyère, cover with plastic wrap, and chill overnight.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350°. Remove plastic wrap from eggs and bake until set and top is golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Serve hot, cut into squares.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch