After reading the recipe I thought it was an interesting concept but sounded bland. I added Applewood smoked bacon, onion, garlic, a few chili pepper flakes and a squeeze of lemon to brighten the favors. It was excellent and a beautiful presentation. My husband wants it again and he's a picky eater.
Swiss Chard-Ricotta Galettes with Fried Eggs
You can make these ahead, without the fried egg on top. Reheat in the oven; then, fry eggs and place on top of each galette just before serving.
More From Coastal Living
Chill: 1 Hour
Bake: 20 Minutes
Total: 2 Hours
- Simple Pastry Crust
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups torn fresh chard or baby spinach leaves, stems removed
- 9 large eggs, divided
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of ground red pepper
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1. Cover and chill Simple Pastry Crust 1 hour or overnight.
- 2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chard, and cook about 1 minute or until just wilted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- 3. Whisk 2 eggs in a medium bowl. Stir in ricotta cheese and next 6 ingredients. Stir in cooled chard.
- 4. Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets or line each with parchment paper. Divide each pastry crust evenly into 3 pieces. Roll each piece into a 6-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Place on prepared baking sheets. Place about 1/3 cup egg mixture into center of each crust. Fold up about 1 inch of crust around mixture, pinching edge together to create a free-form rim.
- 5. Combine 1 egg and milk; brush outside of each galette with mixture. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- 6. Melt butter in a very large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Fry remaining 6 eggs to desired degree of doneness. Place 1 egg on each galette. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes