Very easy to make, and great flavour. I only had regular canned tomatoes and mozzarella cheese, and it was still great.
Swiss Burgers in Tomato Gravy
Simmer ground sirloin patties in a rich tomato gravy to create luscious fork-tender burgers. Serve with steamed green beans.
More From Southern Living
Total: 45 Minutes
- 8 red potatoes, cut into 4 wedges each
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium-size white onion, sliced
- 2 (15-oz.) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 6 (1-oz.) Swiss cheese slices
- Chopped fresh basil (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Toss together potatoes, oil, and 1/2 tsp. salt in a bowl. Spread potatoes in a single layer in a jelly-roll pan, and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden and tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, stir together sirloin, egg, pepper, and remaining 1 tsp. salt in a large bowl. Shape into 6 (3 1/2-inch) patties.
- 3. Cook patties in a large skillet over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove patties, reserving drippings. Sauté onion in hot drippings 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, bouillon, and 1/2 cup water. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes or until bubbly.
- 4. Return patties to skillet; spoon tomato mixture over patties. Cover and cook 15 minutes; uncover and cook 5 minutes. Place 1 cheese slice on each patty. Cover and cook 3 minutes. Sprinkle with basil, if desired. Serve with potatoes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This