Swiss Almond Macaroons
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 46
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 0.8g
- Fat: 1.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrate: 7.5g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Sodium: 51mg
- Cholesterol: 0.5mg
- 3 large egg whites
- 8 ounces almond paste (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, with a fork, beat egg whites until slightly frothy, then measure and reserve exactly 1/3 cup; discard any remaining.
- 2. In a food processor, whirl almond paste, granulated sugar, and lemon peel until fine crumbs form. Add measured egg whites and whirl until very smooth.
- 3. Spoon mixture in 1-teaspoon portions, 2 inches apart, onto three buttered and floured or cooking parchment- lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheets. (Or spoon mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain tip and squeeze 1 1/4-inch-wide rounds onto baking sheets.)
- 4. Sift powdered sugar over rounds to coat evenly. Let unbaked cookies stand, uncovered, until they develop a slight crust, about 4 hours.
- 5. Pinch top of each round with thumb and forefinger of both hands simultaneously to crinkle cookies.
- 6. Bake in a 350° oven until macaroons are a rich golden brown, 8 to 12 minutes. Cool cookies completely on sheets. Slide a thin spatula under cookies to release.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts