- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups milk, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) package 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Garnish: chopped green onions
How to Make It
Bring Yukon gold potatoes and water to cover to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Reduce heat, and cook 20 minutes or until tender; drain. Repeat procedure with sweet potatoes.
Beat Yukon gold potatoes at medium speed with an electric mixer until mashed. Add half of milk, half of cream cheese, and 1 tablespoon butter, beating until smooth. Stir in chopped onions, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Spoon into a lightly greased 3-quart oval baking dish.
Beat sweet potatoes until mashed; add remaining milk, remaining cream cheese, and remaining 1 tablespoon butter, beating until smooth. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and thyme. Spread over Yukon gold potato mixture, and swirl gently with a knife. Cover and chill up to 8 hours, if desired.
Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish, if desired.