- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons low-sugar strawberry spread, melted
- 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 1 tablespoon reduced-calorie stick margarine
- 2 1/2 tablespoons skim milk
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
- 2 fresh strawberries (optional)
- calories 288
- caloriesfromfat 16 %
- fat 5.1 g
- satfat 0.1 g
- monofat 0.0 g
- polyfat 0.0 g
- protein 4.7 g
- carbohydrate 57.1 g
- fiber 0.0 g
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
- iron 0.0 mg
- sodium 140 mg
- calcium 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Combine sliced strawberries and 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in melted strawberry spread. Cover and chill.
Combine 1/2 cup flour, 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; cut in margarine with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
Sprinkle remaining 2 teaspoons flour over work surface. Turn dough out onto floured surface, and knead 4 to 5 times. Divide dough; roll to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut into 2 hearts with a 3 1/4-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter (or into rounds with a 3-inch biscuit cutter). Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon sugar. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Slice shortcakes in half horizontally; spoon strawberry mixture evenly over bottom halves. Place top halves of shortcakes on strawberry mixture. Top each with 1 tablespoon whipped topping. Garnish each with a fresh strawberry, if desired.