These are nice little treats-- great for a kids Valentine's Day party. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to make them look as cute as they do in the photo (I cook often, but my talents do not lie in cutesy baked goods-- a food stylist, I am not), but they are pretty clutz-proof so they looked nice. The recipe is very easy to follow, but a bit time consuming to assemble. It would be a good project do with kids old enough to wield a butter knife.
Store-bought piecrust makes the perfect base for these perfectly-sweet cookies. The filling, made from almond, seedless raspberry jam, and white chocolate, takes this giftable cookie from delicious to completely perfect.
- 1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 (10-ounce) jar seedless raspberry preserves or strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup white chocolate morsels
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Red sparkling sugar (optional)
- Unfold piecrusts on a lightly floured surface, and roll to press out fold lines. Cut with a 2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter. Reroll remaining dough, and repeat procedure. (There should be a total of 46 pastry hearts.) Brush 1 side of each pastry heart with egg white, and sprinkle evenly with granulated sugar. Place pastry hearts on 2 ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400° for 7 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove hearts to wire racks, and let cool.
- Stir together cream cheese, powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, and almond extract until blended.
- Spread cream cheese mixture evenly on unsugared sides of half the hearts; spread about 1/2 teaspoon preserves over mixture. Top with remaining hearts, unsugared sides down.
- Microwave white chocolate morsels and 1 tablespoon butter in a glass bowl at HIGH 1 minute or until melted. Stir until smooth. Place mixture in a small heavy-duty zip-top bag; seal bag. Snip a tiny hole in 1 corner of bag, and drizzle over tarts. Let cool completely; sprinkle with red sparkling sugar, if desired. Place in candy boxes, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note