Sweetbreads With Green Peas
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 pound veal sweetbreads
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can green peas, undrained
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Fresh parsley sprigs
- Place sweetbreads with water to cover in a medium mixing bowl. Soak for 1 hour. Drain well; remove and discard white membrane.
- Combine drained sweetbreads, 2 quarts water, vinegar, and 2 teaspoons salt in a large Dutch oven. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove sweetbreads, and cut into serving-size pieces. Combine egg and 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl; set aside. Combine breadcrumbs, remaining salt, and pepper in a small bowl; set aside. Dip sweetbreads in egg mixture; roll in breadcrumb mixture
- Melt lard in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sweetbreads; cook over low heat 10 minutes or until browned, turning to brown all sides. Remove sweetbreads; drain.
- Cook peas in a medium saucepan over medium heat until hot. Drain and add butter.
- Serve peas in a small bowl on a platter. Place sweetbreads around bowl on platter; garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes