- 2 to 3 pounds veal sweetbreads
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup water
- Toast points
- Place sweetbreads in a large mixing bowl; cover with cold water. Set aside to soak for 1 hour. Drain well; remove and discard white membrane.
- Place sweetbreads and water to cover in a medium Dutch oven. Add lemon juice and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Drain well, and rinse with cold water. Cool completely. Slice sweetbreads into 1- inch slices; set aside.
- Melt butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add sweetbreads; cook slowly for 10 minutes or until browned. Add sherry, pepper, onion powder, and remaining salt; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Add cream; simmer 15 minutes.
- Combine Hour and 1/4 cup water; stir until smooth. Add flour mixture to sweetbreads mixture; simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally. Spoon over toast points; sprinkle with paprika, and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes