I never make a recipe without reading the reivews first- until this one! I made it straight out of the magazine becuase it looked so good- the batter tasted pretty good- which was a good sign but the cake was completely tasteless. I was afraid I had made the tea too strong because I only had gallon sized bags, but I could still not taste any tea flavor. My BFF who is the nicest person in the world and will eat ANYTHING didn't eat it. I have never had to give a one star rating before but this was really awful. I am glad I did not bring it to a party- it would have been really diappointing! I threw the whole thing down in the trash
Sweet Tea-and-Lemonade Cake
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 15 Minutes
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 3 family-size tea bags
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Lemonade Frosting
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease (with shortening) and flour a 13- x 9-inch pan. Pour 1 1/2 cups boiling water over tea bags in a heatproof glass bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and steep 10 minutes. Lift tea bags from liquid, and press against side of bowl, using back of a spoon; discard tea bags. Cool tea 20 minutes.
- 2. Beat butter in a separate large bowl at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugars, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Whisk together cake flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with 1 cup tea, beginning and ending with flour mixture. (Discard any remaining tea.) Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 20 minutes). Spread Lemonade Frosting on cake.
- Note: We tested with Luzianne Iced Tea tea bags.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note