Ick this was so spicy I could barely eat it without chugging down water with each bite. As someone who has never cooked beef short ribs I was so disappointed, after cooking the ribs were 90% bone and fat and barely any meat. Maybe in other places beef short ribs are different but I will be deleting this recipe as soon as I am done the review.
Sweet and Tangy Short Ribs
This saucy dish is worthy of a dinner party; just serve with a side of brown rice or rice noodles. Cola is the secret ingredient, yielding a luscious sauce with great body.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 8 Hours, 58 Minutes
- Calories: 234
- Fat: 11.6g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 15.4g
- Carbohydrate: 16.5g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 41mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 533mg
- Calcium: 33mg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 8 (6-ounce) bone-in beef short ribs, trimmed
- 3/4 cup unsalted beef stock
- 1/3 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek
- 8 minced garlic cloves
- 1 (12-ounce) can cola
- 1 star anise
- 1 (4 x 1-inch) orange rind strip
- 4 cups (1-inch) diagonally cut carrot
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups diagonally cut snow peas
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil; swirl to coat. Add half of beef to pan; cook 10 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove beef from pan; place in a 6-quart electric slow cooker. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and beef. Add stock and next 9 ingredients (through rind) to slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until beef is very tender. Carefully remove beef from pan; keep warm. Discard star anise and rind.
- 2. Skim fat from surface of cooking liquid; discard fat. Pour cooking liquid into a large saucepan; bring to a simmer. Add carrot to pan; cook 20 minutes or until carrot is almost done. Combine 1/4 cup water and cornstarch, stirring with a whisk. Add cornstarch mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Stir in peas; cook 2 minutes. Place 1 short rib in each of 8 shallow bowls. Ladle 1/2 cup sauce and vegetables over each serving; sprinkle evenly with cilantro.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note