- 3 cups thinly sliced red onion (1 large onion)
- 3/4 cup riesling or other slightly sweet white wine
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice (2 large oranges)
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- 2 teaspoons tamarind paste
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 3/4 pounds bone-in turkey thighs, skinned
- 2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups fresh Satsuma mandarin orange sections (about 7 oranges)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Sliced green onions (optional)
- calories 277
- caloriesfromfat 0.0 %
- fat 5.7 g
- satfat 1.4 g
- monofat 2 g
- polyfat 1.6 g
- protein 28.6 g
- carbohydrate 24.7 g
- fiber 1.8 g
- cholesterol 109 mg
- iron 2.8 mg
- sodium 398 mg
- calcium 59 mg
How to Make It
Combine first 6 ingredients in a 5-quart oval electric slow cooker.
Rinse turkey with cold water; pat dry. Sprinkle turkey with five-spice powder and salt. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add turkey; cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Place turkey in a single layer over onion mixture in slow cooker, overlapping slightly. Add orange sections. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours.
Remove turkey from slow cooker. Remove bones from turkey; discard bones. Place turkey on a platter. Pour cooking liquid and orange sections into a medium saucepan, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Combine reserved cooking liquid and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Stir cornstarch mixture into orange mixture in saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until sauce thickens.
Serve sauce over turkey. Sprinkle with green onions, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.