Excellent accompaniment to meat/cheese dishes! The vinegar nicely mellows and balances out the peppers. Easy way to use lots of peppers. I used red/yellow/green bell peppers but may look into poblano next time for more variety.
Sweet and Spicy Pepperonata
Use a variety of hot and sweet peppers in red, orange, and yellow for superior flavor and color in this dish. Serve as a side with grilled meat or fish, or as an appetizer spooned over grilled bread.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 55 Minutes
- Calories: 119
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 2.8g
- Carbohydrate: 16.9g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 167mg
- Calcium: 12mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 pounds assorted peppers, such as mini sweet, bell, and hot long peppers, seeded and cut into strips
- 6 shallots, peeled and halved (about 1/2 pound)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add salt, peppers, and shallots; cook 3 minutes or until shallots begin to brown. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, 20 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- 2. Increase heat to medium-high. Add vinegar, sugar, and thyme; cook 15 minutes or until peppers are tender and shallots are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note