Delicious! Before starting the recipe, I wondered if it would be too sweet, but the salt and spices balanced it out. Salted pretzels worked fine. Easy & tasty.
Sweet and Spicy Nut and Pretzel Mix
Photo: Johnny Autry; Styling: Cindy Barr
Set a timer to remind you of the nuts toasting in the oven.
Yield: Serves 16 (serving size: about 1/3 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Total: 34 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 142
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 3.1g
- Carbohydrate: 21.4g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 156mg
- Calcium: 26mg
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups tiny unsalted pretzels
- 1 cup crispy rice cereal squares (such as Rice Chex)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Combine brown sugar, 1 teaspoon thyme, salt, cinnamon, and red pepper in a small bowl.
- 3. Combine pecans and almonds on a jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until the nuts begin to brown. Combine the pecan mixture and butter in a medium bowl, stirring until butter melts. Gently stir in pretzels, cereal, and syrup. Sprinkle the sugar mixture evenly over pretzel mixture; toss gently to coat. Spread pretzel mixture in a single layer on jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes, stirring once. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon thyme. Cool completely.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers