I have been making this dish for over 5 years now and we LOVE it!! So good, easy to make and very low in calories....it's a win-win!!
Sweet-Spicy Cucumbers over Tomatoes
Be sure to use pickling cucumbers, which are shorter and thinner-skinned than regular cucumbers. Though 4 days is the maximum, the longer the cucumbers marinate, the spicier and more garlicky they'll become.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 32
- Calories from fat: 6%
- Fat: 0.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 0.8g
- Carbohydrate: 7.7g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.4mg
- Sodium: 115mg
- Calcium: 11mg
- 2 cups thinly sliced pickling cucumber (about 2 cucumbers)
- 1 cup thinly sliced Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 whole dried red chiles
- 16 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Arrange half of cucumber in a 9-inch pie plate. Top with half of onion. Repeat procedure with remaining cucumber and onion.
- Combine vinegar and next 5 ingredients (vinegar through chiles) in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute or until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Pour hot vinegar mixture over cucumber mixture. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 1 to 4 days.
- Arrange tomato slices on a platter; sprinkle evenly with 1/8 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Remove cucumber mixture from marinade with a slotted spoon; arrange over tomato slices.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Sweet-Spicy Cucumbers over Tomatoes Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Salads, Side Dishes/Vegetables
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Make-Ahead, Quick/Easy
- CUISINE: American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Vegetables
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Calorie, Low Cholesterol, Low Fat, Low Sodium, Low Saturated Fat
- OCCASION: Spring, Summer, Father's Day, July 4th, Mother's Day, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light
More Recipes Like This