This recipe ranks among the absolute BEST rib recipes I have ever tried. Each component is superior. It was well worth the trouble. My southern family has very entrenched ideas of what good barbeque should be and they all loved this recipe.
Sweet-and-Spicy Barbecue Sauce
Photo: Hector Sanchez; Styling: Buffy Hargett
Can't decide if you like your 'cue spicy or sweet? You get the best of both worlds with Sweet-and-Spicy Barbecue Sauce.
This recipe goes with The Ultimate Smoky, Sweet Ribs
Yield: Makes 5 cups
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (32-oz.) bottle ketchup (such as Heinz)
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- Sauté onion, minced garlic, and jalapeño pepper in hot olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in ketchup, dark brown sugar, vinegar, apple juice, honey, Worcestershire sauce, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, celery seeds, and dried crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Use immediately, or refrigerate in an airtight container up to 1 month.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This