Sweet and Sour Cucumber and Red Onion Pickles
We riffed off classic bread-and-butter pickles, adding the unexpected tastes of lemongrass and coriander.
More From Sunset
Chill: 1 Hour
- Calories: 14
- Calories from fat: 1%
- Protein: 0.1g
- Fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrate: 3.5g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Sodium: 69mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 pound Persian or English cucumbers, ends trimmed
- 1/2 medium red onion, halved lengthwise
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground coriander seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup Champagne vinegar
- 1. Slice cucumbers and onion very thinly on a mandoline or with a knife; rinse onion and drain. Put both in a medium bowl. Peel tough outer layers from lemongrass and smash core with a meat mallet or back of a small heavy saucepan until flattened. Mince core and add to bowl.
- 2. Whisk sugar, salt, coriander, pepper, and vinegar together. Pour over cucumber mixture and chill at least 1 hour, stirring gently a couple of times. Serve cold. Keeps, chilled, up to 1 day.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1/4-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This